What is a carbon footprint? It is the total amount of greenhouse gases (including carbon dioxide and methane) that are generated by our actions. Unfortunately, lately the impact on the Earth started to worsen - increased greenhouse gas emissions have a direct impact on global warming. It makes climate change happen faster and has disastrous consequences on our planet. But good news is that all of us can contribute to fighting global warming! By making small changes to our actions, like eating less meat, taking fewer connecting flights and line drying our clothes, we can start making a big difference.
Here are some useful tips we personally try implementing in our lives that help reduce the carbon footprint:
- Consume local and seasonal products
- Limit meat consumption, especially beef
- Bring reusable shopping bags and avoid products with excessive plastic packaging
- Make sure to buy only what you need, to avoid waste
- Take good care of your clothes
- Try swapping, borrowing, renting or buying second-hand
- Buy responsibly-made clothes, e.g. made from recycled material or with an eco-label
Energy and waste
- Turn down the heating by 1°, it will already make a difference
- Take short showers
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth or clean the dishes
- Unplug your electronic equipment and don’t leave your phone on charge when the battery is already full
- Limit and recycle your waste
We hope you find these tips useful! If you have more to add to the list, please let us know!